Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Process Memo for Profile Story

I was having a hard time figuring out who I was going to do my profile on for the first few weeks of the class. I tried to get an interview with Coach Pat Casey and got denied. I then turned to his son, thinking he would have more time for an interview. I got denied again.
I then turned my attention to anyone I could think of in the community. It dawned on me that Don Johnson is the only Service Officer in Benton County for veterans. He was willing to do the interview so I went forward with that.
After pitching the story to Peter – and subsequently hearing that he had actually heard of Don – I realized that Don does a lot for more people than I know.
It’s not just the veterans that he helps. He has a wife who has beaten cancer within the last year, too. He just seems like a very supportive guy. So, with some luck, it seemed that the profile may actually write itself.
Through talking to his secretary, another veteran and Don himself that is exactly what happened.
Hopefully I’m able to portray that through the profile, but probably not to the extent to which it is deserved.

1 comment:

  1. Good process memo. Too bad about Casey, but I guess I'm not surprised he wasn't available. He's a busy guy this time of year. Score: 9

    ReplyDelete